Volcano Rainforest Retreat
Bed & Breakfast
Kathleen and Peter Golden
Click here for Athena's Island Activities
Personal concierge service ~ Customized trip planning
Local / fax:
Call for last minute specials!!
Thank you for your interest in our hand crafted cottages:
- 2 night minimum stay.
- 3 or more nights recommended and preferred.
- Discounted rates offered on reservations of 3 nights or more.
- Please call for single night requests / additional $25.
- The Retreat is available for small groups upon request.
- Check-in is between 3:00-5:00 P.M. Check out by noon.
- Please make arrangements in advance for early and/or late arrival.
- For all correspondence regarding your reservations, please email us.
We want to provide timely responses, and we may not see comments sent to us through social media sites.
- Volcano Rainforest Retreat owners, Kathleen and Peter Golden, live on the retreat grounds and are available in the office, or on their work,
home and/or cell phones. All numbers are in the guest binders. When they are occasionally off the grounds during the day or in the evening, a
message can be left on their phones. Calls will be returned as soon as possible. There is always a caretaker's phone number available for questions
or emergencies when they are out for the evening. When the Goldens are off island, their caretaker is at the retreat each morning and afternoon for a
few hours, and stays overnight every evening, out of consideration for our guests' needs.
- Please note: The Gathering Hale is the Golden's private residence. Guests enjoy their privacy in one of 4 unique cottages on the retreat grounds.
Just 5 minutes away, enjoy social interaction at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and at cafes and restaurants in rural and charming Volcano Village.
- And: There are two wonderful cats, Ipo and Lahi, who live on the property.
Our cats remain outside of the guest cottages out of consideration
for guests with allergies.
Please plan your arrival and departure times accordingly.
- 27 miles from Hilo Airport, approximately a 40 minute drive.
- 103 miles from Kona Airport, approximately a 2 1/2 hour drive.
All accommodations include:
Please note: only the Guest Cottage and the Bamboo Guest House have cooking facilities.
- 100% Kona coffee and a continental breakfast provided the night before for dining in the privacy of your own cottage.
Housekeeping service includes:
Additional housekeeping services, such as bed making, dish washing, etc. are available for an added fee.
Please make arrangements with Peter and Kathleen prior to your arrival.
- Fresh food, towels, and trash removal daily.
Rates and payment:
- All rates subject to 13.42% Hawai`i taxes.
- Full amount required to hold reservation.
- Personal checks must be received within one week of phone confirmation.
- VISA and Mastercard accepted; credit cards preferred.
- With your reservation request, please include the credit card billing address in addition to your postal address, if different.
- In the event of cancellations made 30 days prior to arrival date, payment will be refunded less 15%.
- Please note that changing cottages or dates for existing reservations, made 30 days prior to arrival date is discouraged and is subject to a 25% reservation adjustment fee.
- For cancellations received less than 30 days prior to arrival date, payment will be forfeited unless date(s) can be rebooked.
- For changes of cottages and dates received less than 30 days prior to arrival date, payment will be forfeited unless date(s) can be rebooked. For any adjusted reservations less than 30 days prior to arrival that cannot be rebooked, discounted rates are available.
- No refunds or cancellations at holiday times and Kilauea Wilderness Run and Merrie Monarch Hula Festival.
- For your financial security regarding cancellations, in case of any possible emergencies, please consider trip insurance.
All rates and policies are subject to change without notice.
Volcano Rainforest Retreat is a Smoke-free environment.
11-3832 Twelfth St.
P.O. Box 957